Ford Europe are talking up the UK scrappage incentive ahead of the start of the scheme on Monday. “I think the industry will be 150,000 to 200,000 up because of it,” said Ingvar Sviggum, Ford of Europe head of sales and marketing.
Sviggum said that since the subsidy was announced last month, Ford of Britain has received 1,400 orders in advance of the plan’s official start.
Other carmakers are also reporting increased sales inquiries, according to U.K. the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders.
“There has been a good response to the scheme ahead of the official start date and industry is confident that this will be translated into additional orders,” SMMT CEO Paul Everitt said in a statement. “The scrappage scheme … has already started to get people back into showrooms.”
Sviggum confirmed this and added that not everyone visiting Ford’s dealers in Europe wanted to get rid of an old car.
“We have seen people who are not scrappage customers coming into our showrooms because of (the incentive),” Sviggum told a conference call with journalists earlier this week.
Sorce: Automotive News Europe